1920-2010My grandpa Daniels passed away March 25th, 2010. He would be turning 90 in July and he lived a great life.
I lived next door to my grandparents my entire life, so I was able to spend much time with them and see them often. This man was unbelievable. He, like so many grandpas out there, served in WWII. He was a gunner in Okinawa and served his country well. He played college football, farmed, and decided to marry my beautiful grandma. She told me when he proposed that he picked her up from high school for lunch and said he had a surprise for her in his pocket. She snuck her hand in his jacket and found a diamond ring. She was glued to his hip from that day on.
My grandpa farmed everyday all day with his little lady working along beside him. They always held hands, kissed, and made flirty comments to each other in front of us. I remember telling my sister, "I want to be as in love as they are!" They wouldn't let anything come between their love for each other. They also loved each of us. We would constantly get comments about how we were cute, smart, thin, and everything you love to hear. They would take us to ride horses, feed cows, go to rodeos, and spoil us rotten. He had a great sense of humor and loved kids. When we would go to his house to visit he would give us a big hug and say that we needed a "whisker pie" he would rub his rough whiskers across our cheeks as we would squirm and giggle. Even though it hurt a little we loved it.
Farrell was one of the toughest men I know. He was kicked in the ribs by horses, smashed against fences by bulls, bucked off both animals, and never stopped working with them and actually loving it. About 8 years ago he was trampled by a bull, and that started the change of his life. He had quite a few surgeries, lots of time in the hospital, and the Doctors all said that most people wouldn't have survived that much trauma. Not this man, he really was tough as nails, and he kept a smile on his face. He slowed down a lot after that but never changed in his heart. Still tough all the time.
I love my grandpa so much and he will be missed by many. We know he is in a great place and can't wait to see him again. He was such a great example to all.
I love you grandpa and miss you so much!


8 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to your Grandpa. I'm sorry for your loss, but what a wonderful life he led. Sounds like a great guy. *hugs*
What a lovely tribute. I always thought your grandparents were so nice. I'm truly sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your fam. :)
Linds what a precious man! You are lucky to have such an example in your grandpa. Thanks for sharing what a cutie he was- hang in there!
I am sorry for your loss. It was fun to read about him! It seems like he lived a good and full life! Love you!
what a beautiful tribute to your grandpa. He sounds like an amazing man :) Let me know if I can do anything. Love ya girl!
What special memories you have of your grandpa! He sounds so wonderful! I am so sorry for you Linds. I'm sure he is watching over you. Love you!
Lindsey what a wonderful tribute to him. I didn't know all of that about him. He was a neat man, and you are right he is in a happy place just waiting for the rest of us now. Thanks for the sweet reminder of how wonderful grandpas are!
Beautiful Post!! I am so sorry for your loss! I want to have that love that you talked about. So sweet!! Hugs and loves to you and your family!!
Post a Comment